Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

one might say. Although, one would be wrong.

Haha, get it? The sky is falling? Chicken Little? The asteroid landing in Russia? Eh? Eh?

I'm sick. It's not my best, I'll admit. 

Anyways, I though I'd discuss the event that occurred in Russia last Friday. Because it's space, and current, and all sorts of fun things.

So.

In brief, here's what happened:



On last Friday morning, a relatively "small" meteor crashed on the earth (55 feet in diameter, weighing about 10,000 tons), near Chelyabinsk, Russia. The crash released the energy of more than 30 atomic bombs. The shock waves caused by it shattered glass windows and injured over 1,000 people.

Small fragments of the meteor have been found scattered around the site, ranging from very, very small, to just sort-of-small. This particular meteor came from the asteroid belt, and not from the moon or Mars, like many do. For those of you who don't know, the asteroid belt is pretty much a ring of floating space rocks in between Mars and Jupiter. They can be dislodged by comets, gravity, any number of things.

When these asteroids do approach Earth, they fly into our atmosphere. Most of them, if they're small enough, burn up there, and don't really cause a big splash, so to speak. You may have seen this during a meteor shower; however, sometimes they don't burn up entirely, and then bits land on the Earth. That's what happened on Friday.

Fun fact: according to the Wall Street Journal, "A meteor is what is seen burning up flying through the atmosphere. A meteorite is what survives the plunge and lands on the earth's surface."

 The event was filmed completely by accident by several drivers from little cameras mounted on their dashboards. Apparently, that's a thing in Russia, so that if someone assaults their car, they have proof for corrupt police or people trying to make faulty insurance claims. There's a segment on the Daily Show. You should watch it.

The terrifying thing, for me, at least, is not that this asteroid crashed as it did, but that NASA had no idea. Apparently, they're stepping up asteroid detection, but why haven't they yet? In my humble (cough not really cough) opinion, I feel like defending the Earth should be one of their top priorities.(Although, when you think of the Earth, you should remember that IT. IS. DEFENDED. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry (I'm not.)). Besides, you know, discovering new things out there, in space...

I think that everything in the universe is important. Not just because I watch too much doctor who, but mostly because I knowing what's out there, be it helpful aliens or mortally destructive space rocks, is so, so interesting and important. There could be, and I think there is, an entire universe full of wonderfully diverse life and planets and everything. The universe is infinity.








2 comments: