Sunday, March 10, 2013

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the best. He's an Astrophysicist with a wife and two kids and what is probably the best twitter feed on the whole internet, and an out-of this world of knowledge about space and the universe.

Yes, he is a real person who exists, all you naysayers. And he's actually quite famous. And really, really cool.

I've mentioned him before on this blog, because he used to host NOVA Science Now,  but I feel like I should dedicate an entire post to him because he's actually on my list of my favorite people.

So here we are.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was born in Manhattan, the second of three children. He graduated from Harvard and earned a doctorate from Columbia, then went to work at the Hayden Planetarium. He eventually became the director, renovating and greatly improving the planetarium. He hosted NOVA Scince Now for five years, served as a presidential adviser, and also makes frequent appearances in the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. He's written a lot of books, like Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandarie and The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was the one to declare Pluto a dwarf planet instead of a regular planet (perhaps his only fault), but what he's most famous for is his ability to explain complicated science concepts in a way that's easy to understand.

He also has a lot of opinions about religion, spirituality, and God. He  was an eyewitness to the 9-11 attack. He has the awesomest ties that have space and planets on them.

The thing I admire the most about him is how passionate he is about Astrophysics, and how much he knows about it. I mean, he actually knows everything about space. If I don't become a Rabbi or Shakespearean actress or author or journalist or archaeologist or teacher, I definitely want to be him when I grow up.


Here's him, talking, being awesome, like he always is.


Neil deGrasse Tyson is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment